Thursday 20 September 2012

Safety

This has been my desire to write on a topic which is close to my heart.

Do we know what is safe for us? I doubt. There are many instances of "educated" Indians not caring about safety. Let me illustrate this with a few examples from my life.

While driving, I wear my seat belt. It has become such a habit, that immediately after starting the car, before even engaging the gear, I put on my seat belt. I also insist that the person in the passenger seat adjacent to me should wear the seat belt. My kids have started following this religiously and so has Meena, my wife.

Once my son took off the seat belt while we were still not home (in fact driving away from home). I remonstrated with him. He said, it was too tight. I am unable to understand the logic of the statement that is often made, "Appa, nothing has happened so far. Why don't you allow me to remove the belt at least for a few minutes. Nothing will happen." I tell guys that an accident is an event that happens in an instant - less than a second. With automobiles and multiple vehicle types on our roads, it is impossible to predict in advance an accident and prepare yourself to avoid any injury. The consequences of any accident can be pretty severe and you should know how much trouble it would cause you and your family. So take care, always. This is an example of a Black Swan event.

Why are kids so less conscious of safety? Is the subject of safety not taught adequately in schools and colleges? I know our education system gives importance only to core subjects and other "knowledge" is left to the parent to imbibe. If our education system is like that, I cannot complain and wait for the changes to be incorporated in the education system. I, as a parent, should be responsible for teaching my children lessons in safety.

We often see the extent to which motorbike riders drive on roads. They weave through the traffic unmindful of the rear-view mirrors and if a person hits the mirror, he may or may not apologize. Once I saw a motorbike rider with a 5 year old kid in front (riding on the fuel tank) almost graze my mirror. I opened the window, closed the mirror and asked him to go ahead. Probably he was in a great hurry! But later on I wondered what lesson would the kid have learnt seeing his dad drive? Are we giving good lessons on safe driving to our kids?

No comments: