Tuesday 11 September 2012

Fork in life

I have often been struck by the wide variance I see in our life consequent to a certain decision taken at a particular time in our lives. Marriage may be the obvious event which characterizes the "fork" (let us call it a fork in our life). However, there are other significant events that may have occurred in our journey and it is important to recognize them.

I can think of one of the most important "forks" in my life. It was an entrance test for admission to a 3-year BE program at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore in 1977. There were 4 papers that one had to take. Physics, Mathematics, and General Knowledge were compulsory, while for the fourth paper one had a choice. One could either choose Chemistry or Advanced Mathematics. I had just completed my B.Sc. with a major in Physics (major signified that I had 8 papers in Physics spread over 3 years, whereas for the minors, that is, Chemistry and Mathematics, I had two papers each) and hence just before the commencement of the "optional paper", my friends and I were debating as to which would be a better choice which could maximize the probability of our admission to the Institute. I was undecided and realized with a sinking heart that neither would in my case! My friends decided to opt for Advanced Mathematics since Chemistry was our minor and it was felt that we didn't have the necessary "memory" to remember all the complex formulas that would most likely be asked.

The one good thing about this option was that we could defer the decision of our choice till the time of the distribution of the question papers. I was still undecided when we sat down in the exam hall. My mind was in a confused state. I thought my advanced maths level was just average; but my chemistry knowledge was no better. What should I do? I cursed myself for not trying for REC's immediately after my Higher Secondary. I remembered a cousin who after seeing my marks had commented that I could have got a seat in REC Trichy and a good branch without any trouble. And entrance to REC's was only based on Higher Secondary marks.There was no entrance exam. I cursed my decision to do a B.Sc. course without thinking through the consequences of doing an under-graduate program in sciences when research was not my cup of tea. I should have known. I flunked a project for my National Science talent and did a very poor job. That experience should have taught me important lessons in understanding my capabilities. I was a fool twice over. I thought I had no future.

The invigilator had commenced distribution of the question papers and he was asking each candidate which paper he/she wanted to write. As far as I can recollect now, most had a very assured air about them when they said, "Chemistry" or "Advanced Mathematics". I was still unsure. The invigilator was moving closer towards me with two bundles of question papers in his hand. I had to take a decision. This was going to be one of the most important decisions in my life. Which paper should I write? Could someone help me? Please...

Time marches on inexorably. We sometimes want Father Time to stop, but it doesn't. The invigilator was performing his duty with utmost efficiency and before I realized it, he was near me. "Chemistry? or Advanced Mathematics?" he asked with raised eyebrows. I may have hesitated for a micro-second before blurting out 'Chemistry'. He calmly handed over the Chemistry paper before moving on, scarcely noticing the terror he had left in his wake. My choice was instinctive, not based on a serious introspection of my capabilities and limitations. I was a fool not to have seriously thought it over and prepared more systematically. It was too late. My fate was sealed now.

The questions asked are buried deep in the archives of my memory bank (or so I hope), so I do not remember even one question. I was in a daze for a couple of minutes. Have I made the right choice? My friends would have chosen Advanced Mathematics. I remembered a close friend who was a B.Sc. Maths student and one year senior to me and to whom I would go occasionally when a difficult problem confounded me. Maybe choosing Advanced Mathematics would have helped my cause, I thought. But thankfully, the question paper on Chemistry absorbed my attention and I completed the exam and came out. We gathered in the corridor and were discussing the question paper, as all students do. Imagine my horror, when I couldn't find even one friend who had chosen Chemistry. I thought I was the biggest fool. Their next words lessened my anxiety a bit. Each of them said that the Advanced Mathematics paper was very tough. We do sympathize with others' misery; but when our misery is less, we secretly rejoice.

None of my friends got through, but I was selected!

I could not see it then, but now I see a silver lining in all this drama. If I had been the first student who was approached by the invigilator, what would I have said?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

..Sir ,I was wondering about your qualification and present job but very hesitant to en-quire you ! I just now had the answer for my first query > Going through ," Fork In Life " , I admire your English !and I feel that you were lucky enough to have missed your BE after 12th. God wished you to do BE in IISc after getting a fine foundation in BSc! It is a common knowledge that people opting for Engineering soon after 12th. lack proper foundation in mathematics and Physics. !You haven't mentioned about your branch in BE.! It was my dream to study in IISc ,though unfulfilled one !Incidently my father's brother Dr.K.Krishnan is a student under Dr.CV Raman for his Ph.D .,after his Honors in Physics at St.Joseph's ,Trichy .

Ranga said...

Forks such as this often turn into spoons when the choice is right.

Raj Subramani said...

Thanks for the comments Krishnamurthy sir and TS.
Feeble attempts at blogging are winning some admirers and getting me some bouquets. Should I continue? I think I should!
TS: I am reminded of the Mahabharat story re: what is right and wrong. Nothing is right; but everything is right. I do believe that we cannot drive the car of our life by looking at the rear-view mirror; since looking back always makes us think, "Should I have taken the other fork back there?"

Unknown said...

Raj, excellently written and maintained the suspense as you perhaps felt at that time till the end. Reminds me of Malcolm Gladwell's Blink. Now this is the first incidence that corroborates his theory.
regards
Kannan

Unknown said...

this was wonderfully described by kannadasn in one of his movies
nenjirukkumvarai" neraa na nedunchali ore idathil iru kooraga pirivadhundu"
One common word used for such incidents is dilemma or choice beween the devil and the deep sea
i had a similar situation when i had to choose a job offer Indian Oxygen management trainee ot ITI/ 1500pm or 400pm i select ITI and comfortably put the blame on the word called DESTINY

Unknown said...

Any how well written
Raj
trying new things in life congrats
let the march go on

amma said...

raj, the episode of "fork in life" excellently narrated.

amma said...

raj, the episode of "fork in life" excellently narrated.

Anonymous said...

Nicely writtenm dad! I'd've been in a spot too because I liked chem and math both in grades 11 and 12. But in the end, love for math would have won out, for sure.

RAVINDRA said...

Well scripted, as usual.
Knowing you a bit too well, I am certain you would have cleared even if you had chosen Advanced Maths.
But yes, sometimes the dilemma at that particular moment of time can be terrible. Your gut feeling paid off.